In Partnership with: (tba) Clinical Skills Simulation Unit & Royal Geographical Society
The basics on mountaineering AMS (acute mountain sickness) are available everywhere, but there is a higher level of understanding that you can gain.
If you are in a mountaineering situation requiring difficult decisons, it can be very useful to be able to assess:
1. How bad is it? and
2. Is it getting worse or better?
This 1 day course gives sufficient clinical understanding to assess the level of HAPE / HACE and assess if it is worsening or improving.
Uses clinical simulation techniques to understand:
- Checking Lung function before leaving
- Lung / breathing sounds if you are getting pulmonary oedema- how bad is it?
- Pulse oximetry (the LED finger sensor)
- Assessing Ataxia / Mental confusion level
- Lag times before onset / recovery
- Use of drugs to contain the situation, if descent not immediately possible
Recommended if you are going mountaineering above 5,000m, eg Nepal Trekking Peaks